CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Some Helps for Children with Special Needs

“Playgroups are a great opportunity for a child with a physical disability to gain a little more motivation to move and to mimic the movements of other children. The child with a physical disability may need some Velcro to keep his hands on the handlebars of the tricycle and maybe his feet on the pedals, and then, certainly, a caregiver should be very close by while the child is riding on the ride-on toy. A child may need Velcro on a glove to help her catch a ball. Or a particular size paddle to help her bat at a beach ball. The idea is that the adult thinks ahead about the equipment so the child with the disability will be able to participate.” (Kristi Sayers Menear; Ph.D., CAPE Assistant Professor of Human Studies at the University of Alabama at Birmingham)

I use the above as an introduction to “Special Needs” children. Because of my interest in “Special Needs” children brought on because of my grandson, Joe, I have learned that there is a natural love for nature that comes to these children. Without fail, if we have been in a store with Joe and then wheel him outside, he senses the fresh air coming and perhaps the rays of the sun in his face. He becomes animated with joy and begins to laugh the minute we burst into the fresh air—and it doesn’t matter how cold it is. I thought it was just his special spirit but I have since read that even children with ADHD “find their symptom decreased with any kind of direct exposure to nature,” Richard Louv, author of Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder, has said and concludes, “We’re beginning to learn that playing outdoors in nature increases the ability of a child to pay attention.” Everyone needs fresh air and sunshine. May I just say here, spend more time outside.

For children with slowed physical abilities, consider substituting a silk scarf in place of a ball to slow the falling effects of an object (now, the scarf), thus allowing a child more time to catch. Here, success, however it’s accomplished, is the goal. Be creative and be an advocate for your special needs child. If you aren’t his advocate, who will be?

One thing I have learned with Joe is that “Special Needs” children don’t break. They love to be played with, to rough-house a little. Joe loves the motion of dancing and the rhythm from music. He loves to tease and loves animation from me as I say, “Joe, what the heck are you doing? Are you teasing Grandma?” We do this over and over again because he requires repetition.
I feel I really connect with Joe when I can forget all that is around me and just “play” with him. I become a little child, too. I forget what others might think and I just have fun with him. This has been an important lesson for me. Who cares if I might look silly to those looking on? For those few special moments I have with Joe, nothing else matters. The joy he expresses by laughing and clapping his hands tells me we are friends and have made a connection. And for me there is no greater joy.

No comments: