CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

One Way to a Man’s Heart

Today is my sweetheart, Jeff’s, birthday. Of all he could have asked for, for his birthday, he wants me to make him his chicken pot pie. It’s really quite simple to make but this is the pie he raves about. When I make it, he does something that he has never done for any other meal—he talks about it for a few days past the pleasure of it. Through the years, I have often asked Jeff what he would like for dinner and he has always said, “Anything.” Now, if I ask him, he will say, “How about one of your fantastic meat pies?” Thus, today I share a pie recipe that is a direct way to my man’s heart. Maybe your sweetheart will love it too!

Chicken Pot Pie:
2 C cubed cooked chicken (or turkey)
1 C sliced carrots
1 C chopped onions
1 can cream of chicken soup
Milk (to brush on pie crust)
1/4 C chopped celery
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 C butter
1 C diced potatoes
1 can of corn or frozen corn
Pastry for 2 crusts (When I have limited time, I buy pre-made crusts in the refrigerator section of the store. Now, making the pie is not so overwhelming, either.)

In a frying pan, melt the butter and add the thyme and pepper. Add the carrots, onions, celery and potatoes. Turn frequently. Sauté until carrots and potatoes are almost tender. Stir in soup, chicken and corn. Add filling to a 9” pastry-lined pie dish. Lay the other pastry on top. (Be sure to vent.) Brush top pastry with milk (This makes the top golden brown when baked.) Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Enjoy! Serves 4 people if your husband loves it like mine does or 8 people if they can control themselves.

Note, if there is too much filling, save the leftovers for lunch the next day. They are great without a crust.

Additional Note: I love to make a beef version by frying 1 lb. of hamburger with the onions. I then add the butter and seasonings and all of the vegetables and fry them until tender. I then add the can of soup or about 2 cups of brown gravy. (Jeff likes the brown gravy.) Instead of corn I might add peas. Jeff loves this version, too.

I hope this will add to your collection of recipes that lead you to your man’s heart. Oh, and I love it, too!!!

No comments: