CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 17, 2010

A Project With Each of Your Children or Grandchildren

Yesterday, I had a delightful time in an effort to complete a five-generation pedigree chart on a few of my family lines. The time spent was so pleasurable that I was amazed that five hours had passed without even an urge to eat or sleep or move around. Now, this morning, the thought struck me for a wonderful activity with your children.

Why not prepare a pedigree chart for each of them to display in their bedroom. One could make it as simple or as eloquent (with pictures, etc.) as desired. The fun of doing it together is what I am envisioning. There are so many internet sites that would enable you to find records and pictures of ancestors. I found success by Googling names that I knew and wallaaaa… there was the name. Of course, not every name was easy to find, but I did have lots of success. In fact, just for fun, I followed one name through and it carried me almost exactly to 1000 AD! (Of course I had to write them all down on the back of my poster-size pedigree chart for future reference.)

I am confident your children will be amazed with the names, dates and places of birth and deaths that you will find about your ancestors. I can’t wait to tell my Rachael Ann about an ancestor with the name of Rachel Ann Canarda. She was born in Tennessee in 1813. I didn’t even know we had ancestors from Tennessee!

Anyway, you get the idea I hope. Spend some pleasurable time making these pedigree charts with your children or grandchildren and I know you’ll never have any regrets.

No comments: