CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 11, 2010

What we "Think" is What We Are

Today, I hope no one will think poorly of me for sharing something I have written in my journal. I am studying a book, "Mind Management" and I am keeping a journal about my thoughts and about what I am learning and/or desire to remember. I have always been intrigued by the power of our thought-processes and the power of our thoughts and I find this book very motivating. I know the scripture, "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he," is true. Now, here is my journal entry:

"I am so intrigued by the power of our minds. I could study about this for hours a day. This morning I read the chapter, 'Your Mind Thinks Boundlessly.' I know I was told once after my brain activity had been tested because I was blanking out, that my brain waves were overly active and that even in my resting state they were overly active. Doctors determined that my blank-outs were my brain's way of getting a quick rest. Right or wrong on this analysis, I have always known that my mind never stops. Even Jeff becomes weary (I think--no pun intended) because I share so much of what I am thinking. He frequently says, 'Lori, you are such a deep thinker. Your brain never stops.' Now this morning I read this thought by Mark Twain and I am intrigued:

'What a wee little part of a person's life are his acts and his words! His real life is led in his head, and is known to none but himself. All day long, the mill of his brain is grinding, and his thoughts, not those other things, are his history. These are his life, and they are not written, and cannot be written...Biographies are but the clothes and buttons of the man--the biography of the man himself cannot be written.'

Thus, I see how important it is to control our thoughts. 'As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he,' is a truth revealed. I am what I think about. I do not have the time or convenience (for lack of better words) to waste my thoughts on ridicule of myself or others. Nor should I waste thought on selfish wants and petty imaginings.

Our minds need 'jump-starts' and the searching of scriptures and the reading from the 'best books' do this for me and others. Small children are truly blessed if they have parents read to them. Older children are blessed if they develop a love of reading.

This is so simple as stated on paper and yet so powerful if remembered and put into action!"

No comments: